Photo source: thechurchofjesuschrist.org
After a monstrous explosion killed more than 200 people and injured more than 7,000 people in Beirut, Lebanon, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through 6 charities have gone to their rescue. This sad event occurred on August 4, 2020.
An amount close to $2 million dollars has been donated to help the city and its people in this difficult time. This donation will help provide food and medical supplies to the city and its people.
A statement on the donation by the Area Presidency reads:
“We are grateful for the generous donations of Latter-day Saints around the world, which make it possible for us to quickly respond to this unexpected crisis,” Area President Elder Anthony D. Perkins said. “We appreciate working with our trusted humanitarian partners to help provide needed medical supplies and food. The good people of Lebanon continue to be in our prayers during this difficult time.”
Six charitable organizations are helping with the donation being made by the church. These six organizations are:
- Project HOPE
- International Medical Corps:
- Rahma Worldwide
- Convoy of Hope
- The Adventist Development and Relief Agency
The church website gave a description of each charity organization’s duty. Below are the organizations and their roles as reported on the church’s website:
- MedGlobal is using the Church’s donation to provide medical equipment, medications, personal protective equipment and other medical supplies to four local hospitals and mobile clinics. The money is also being used to train health care workers how to identify those with mental health needs and refer them for treatment.
- Project HOPE: Emergency health supplies are being provided by Project HOPE and its partner the Rene Moawad Foundation, including 165 pallets of medications, syringes, bandages, gauze, and N95 masks.
- International Medical Corps: Five health centers in Beirut are receiving medicines, medical supplies, and mental health resources. The donation from Latter-day Saint Charities purchased 3,000 hygiene and sanitization kits for patrons who come to the centers.
- Rahma Worldwide: Emergency response is the focus of Rahma Worldwide, which purchased food baskets and hygiene kits for 5,000 families affected by the explosion.
- Convoy of Hope is assisting displaced families and elderly with food, water and medical support. The Latter-day Saint Charities donation also supports debris removal and home cleanup in Beirut.
- The Adventist Development and Relief Agency will use the Latter-day Saint Charities donation to provide food vouchers to families and help local businesses get up and running again.
For more on the donation visit news-middleeast.churchofjesuschrist.org
Like and follow our Facebook page: Latter-day Saints News Around The World